Wednesday, July 9, 2008

So let's talk about ND and western medicine

Anyone ever run into a regular doctor that treats you like you don't know what's best for your child or that you can't possibly be seeing a change. I talked to our naturopath today (ND) and let her know we would be seeking a second opinion or at least someone to see if we've been missing something. I let her know she's been great and how much I apprecited that she respected my decisions especially since we've put him on Zyrtec. And that we'd be back to discuss all my other findings.

I know someone may read this and think Zyrtec is not the end of the world but as an antihistamine is suppresses the system and keeps the eczema at bay. You see in her eyes the skin being an organ of the body has been obviously expelling toxins from the body. If those toxins weren't allowed to flush from the system those toxins would find a way out. And that way out could manifest in another worse disease like asthma or Crohn's or something we don't want. So by putting him on Zyrtec I'm not letting the toxins out but I have to let his skin heal. Let his body have a break from dealing with all the environmental abuse its taking from the airbourne allergens. We see him come in after 10 minutes of palying outside and he's itching like nobody's business.

Ever felt like you were straddling two worlds. Kinda happens when we frist have kids and want to go out like before we had kids. You don't know how to do it at first and have to feel your way around... that's what it feels like for me when I'm dealing with the ND and regular Docs. My peds great, we met a nurse's physician that was great but another urgent care doc that wasn't. I feel like in many cases I end up teaching and sometimes I get tired of that job. My older son has Asperger's and we've run into many a teacher thinking, oh, we've dealt with ADHD, and since that's a component of Asperger's we can deal with it. Suffice to say, i've spent many a time thinking, okay, here you go, time to learn under fire. You'll call me when you don't know what to do and I can then turn and say, that's why I wanted to you listen to what I've learned. Thus the teaching part.

Well maybe I;m a teacher at heart and that should have been my calling. I'll keep youj posted on my teaching efforts!

No comments: