Sunday, July 13, 2008

I found some great new ideas from other bloogers here. Check out Shmooed Food/Vegan Lunchbox and Simple, Healthy, Tasty. Shmooed was the first web/blog I found with great ideas on actually building a lunch he may like. Simple, Healthy, Tasty gave us a tortilla recipe that I could modify and get wheat-tasting tortillas. We are in heaven again!

With my modifications, my tortilla recipe is wheat-free, corn-free, and rice free.

1/4 cup each arrowroot powder, tapioca flour, potato starch
1/2 cup millet flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup water

Mix all the dry ingredients and cut in oil with pastry blender. Add the water, mixing with a fork. Let rest 10 minutes. Roll small balls about 2-3 inches between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Cook on medium in dry skillet or cast iron until cooked. Cool in gallon baggy or tortilla warmer.

I knew these would be a hit so we bought a tortilla press right away but we need a larger one because the typical corn tortilla size is not big enough when we want to make burritos.

I do have a few kinks to work out because 1/2 cup water from the original recipe seems to make it too gooey and I have to knead in additional flours. Just now I used millet flour for the kneading and that worked well before placing into the tortilla press (before I used buckwheat flour). Now I wonder if I should knead the whole batch after only adding 1/3 cup water. If anyone is experimenting, let me know what you find.

Next I'm going to try the nacho cheese sauce on Simple, Healthy, Tasty after purchasing my food processor and using this tortilla recipe to make chips for my little one. Yipee, life is good at the moment!

No comments: